Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Basking in the Afterglow

So this is what freedom feels like. One year ago yesterday was my last day at my old job. One year ago today I started out on my new career path. I was ready to write, finish my novel, dedicate more time to "The Pampered Paramour," have more time for foodie research and pursue something, anything, other than the road I had been on for the past 6 years. I knew that not many people had this type of opportunity, and you could bet your bottom dollar I wasn't going to let this one slip away.

I was fortunate in so many ways - I had (and still do) a loving and supportive husband, a column in Vintage Life Magazine and the hopes for something better than an overbearing, manipulative boss who thought the best way to incentivize her sales employees was to consistently cut commissions, while the CEO was bragging about his brand new Escalade to everyone in the small company. Without being too spiteful, I have to say, her hair was just about as bad as her conniving, ill-developed business sense. After 6 peaceful weeks of writing and exploring the finer things in life, I had the opportunity to go back to work, on my terms, as a contractor. Without getting into too many details, my unscrupulous former company decided to tell countless lies about me, engage me in legal banter that forced me to hire an attorney to defend my right to work, and then, just after they had to cut a rather hefty settlement check to the government, "someone" sent an anonymous letter stating that I was unprofessional and had multiple sex blogs. Well, I've got news for the one signed, "Concerned," you helped propel "The Pampered Paramour" into more sales with that one...so, again, almost one year later, I say, "Thank you...whoever you are."

After my trip down memory lane, I am happy to say, that on my one year anniversary of freedom from a tyrannical company, I was actually able to check off every item on my "To Do List," which included emailing the Science Center for a status on Product X's testing. Hopefully I'll hear something, at some point. In the meantime, I'm just reveling in the afterglow of what was perhaps the best decision I've ever made. Follow your dreams, people, and never give up on them or yourself. They're worth it...and so are you!

And now off to continue the creation of the best marketing plan the world has ever seen! Muahahaha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment