Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Second Guessing

I woke this morning and faced the day I had been anticipating for almost a week. Today I set out to get started on label creation for Product X. I was nervous and excited, I knew this meeting would end with something, which was better than the nothing I already had.

Fortunately for me, my designer is also my friend, so what was to be a business meeting, turned into two girls chatting about life and love, people we liked and people we thought were assholes, all over a Peruvian lunch. When we returned to her office we started to chat about the grand visions I was having for this new line. I went in with little more than a product name and an outline in my mind as to what the label could look like, but I was certain that if anyone could help me brand this product line and make it something people would want on their shelves, it was her.

After my usual long-winded explanation of things, I showed her a picture of the bottles I was considering. The men I had consulted liked one bottle and the women liked the other, so once again, I was at a loss. That's when she said, "You can't be all things to all people. That's the way to become nothing to no one." And she was absolutely right. If I keep getting caught up in these mental tug-o-wars I'll never be able to make a decision. I had to go with my gut. She suggested that I start by thinking of the places where I'd like to see Product X on the shelves and work from there. Then she profoundly added, "Aren't women usually the ones who do the shopping?" Bingo! I happily set my mind on the bottle I originally liked and we continued to talk about fonts and die cut labels, we even planned a field trip together to go taste wines and talk more about the design side of things.

So, as I sit here recording Step 5 (or so) out of a million, I realized that I have been completely over-thinking things. Even though there is a science to marketing and product placement, it isn't rocket science and since I have a product that I believe in, one I can proudly stand behind, I need to start trusting my gut and my business experience. I haven't come this far, from simple home cook to vintage foodie columnist, by being timid. I trusted myself when I started out on this adventure, and look where it took me! I do the best I can at everything I do. Sure, sometimes hold my breath as I watch things unfold, but in the end, I know I have what it takes to succeed...I've already succeeded!

No comments:

Post a Comment